Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Scheme

HAP is a form of social housing support provided by all local authorities. HAP means that local authorities can provide housing assistance for households who qualify for social housing support, including many long-term Rent Supplement recipients.

Under HAP, local authorities will make a monthly payment to a landlord, subject to terms and conditions including rent limits, on a HAP tenant’s behalf. In return, the HAP tenant pays a weekly contribution towards the rent to the local authority. This ‘rent contribution’ is based on the household income. It is calculated in the same way as the rent paid by a tenant of a local authority owned property.

Why is HAP being introduced?

HAP provides a more integrated system of housing supports and aims to:

  • allow HAP tenants to work full-time and still keep their housing support, and
  • allow all social housing supports to be accessed through one body – the local authority.

Who is eligible for HAP?

  • Any household that qualifies for social housing support, and is not currently housed by their local authority, can apply for HAP.
  • Current Rent Supplement recipients who qualify for social housing support will be transferred from Rent Supplement to HAP on a phased basis.

Your local authority can determine your eligibility for social housing support and HAP. Contact your local authority here.